Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Week 4 Story - Rachel and the Jinn

She'd met Jacob at a fountain
He wanted for them to be wed
But Jacob married Leah first 
Because he had been misled 

Her father Laban had given Jacob Leah
He said "To wed the younger first is forbidden"
And though Laban had pushed Jacob into Leah's bed,
She thought: "He didn't have to give her children."

The Lord gave Leah children quickly;
Rachel was barren though she prayed.
Jacob wished to return to Canaan--
Too long had he stayed

The road to Canaan was long
and the journey took its toll
Their family traveled far and Laban followed,
Seeking the idols Rachel stole

One of these items contained a jinn
Or so the household servants said
Leah had four sons, Bilhah two;
Rachel was determined to get ahead

She called the spirit from the lamp
and soon the jinn came forth
She demanded he bless her with a son,
and he chuckled "What's it worth?"

"What will you risk for a child?
For I have magic in my eyes
Of course, I can lend my talents to you
But all magic has a price."

She swore thrice that she wanted the babe
Caught in competition with her sister.
The jinn smiled, then cackled wildly
And the sound of it unnerved her.

But she ignored her reservations
And reached out to the spirit
He took her hand and gave her magic;
She was glad when she could feel it.

"You swear your son has a great destiny,
But this gift will bring you strife,"
The jinn grinned his evil grin and said:
"If you're wrong, your son pays with his life."

With this iron covenant in mind,
She bade her husband come to bed,
And though they conceived Joseph that night,
The jinn's words stayed in her head.

Years later her son had become his father's favorite
His brothers--jealousy was within them;
Jacob gave Joseph a colored cloak
His brothers tore it from him

They left him in the cold and in the dark,
They told his father he'd been eaten--
The jinn snickered down in his lamp
But the Lord's plan would not be beaten

Joseph understood men's dreams
And this gift took him far, when he answered Pharaoh's call
Her hard-won son saved and forgave his family
And Rachel had been right after all.

"The Meeting of Jacob and Rachel" by William Dyce
Source: Wikimedia Commons

-----
Author's Note: I based this story off of the stories from the Jewish Fairytales: most of which turned out to be character's from the Bible but with more mythical creatures tied in. A lot of times, the stories reminded me of the fact that the Bible has cultural significance beyond the religious aspect, and is really the story of a people and the heroic figures within the Jewish tradition. As a kid, I was fascinated by the weird, competitive way Rachel and Leah went about having children with Jacob. I thought it would be interesting to explore that story with the added context of coexisting paganism and the addition of a mythical creature who could possibly explain why she was able to have children all of a sudden.

Also, I thought it would be fun to write it as a poem. A lot of the Jewish Fairytales had really short lines, and I just thought I'd try something new--though I must admit that the ABAB rhyme scheme is a bit of a crutch for me

7 comments:

  1. Hi Alona! I really enjoyed reading this story as a rhyme. It was a great way to summarize the many events that took place, and it added a musical aspect to the story. I really liked the part when Rachel is asking the Jinn to give her a son, you can feel how determined and stubborn she is to have a son even though she isn’t given any dialogue. One part that I was a little confused about was why she stole her father’s idols?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that in the Bible Rachel stole Laban's idols, and I thought that it would be a cool way to introduce how she came into the possession of the jinn. Maybe he was in a lamp or statue haha. Sorry that it wasn't clear. I am glad you liked the story!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alona! I loved your story! I have been reading a lot of the biblical stories so I was excited when I realized yours was about Rachel and Leah. I especially liked how you connected Rachel and Leah's story to Joseph's story. They are both more well known Biblical stories but often people forget that the two are connected and intertwined. Also, I like how you chose to do it in the form of a poem, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alona! I loved this story and I loved your initiative to turn it into a poem. I read one of the stories from this week that was this style and wanted to do something like it but in the end, I did not. I wonder what the story would have looked like if the jinn had asked for something more concrete, like a sacrifice of some sort. I enjoyed the mystery that I got from the dialogue and also enjoyed the phrasing of "what's it worth?" The poem aspect made even the insidious nature seem playful, which the jinn character seemed playful (but that could have been the rhyming.) I do agree with the above comment of I wish there was more explanation as to why she took her father's idols. All in all I enjoyed your ability to give a reason to why Rachel was able to have children so suddenly. I really enjoyed this reading, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why Rachel stole the idols, but I remember it saying that she did back when I used to read the Bible. I just thought I'd take advantage of the ambiguous motive and say it was because she needed the jinn to have a baby.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alona! Your story about Rachel and Leah is great! I read this story and I really loved how you decided to write it as a poem. I love poems because they rhyme (I know that’s kinds weird and nerdy, but I love it!) You played around with the characters and their own personal intentions and I thought that was a fun addition. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alona!
    This is one of the first stories I have read as a poem and I really enjoyed it. It was easy to read and I loved the rhymes - I thought it gave the story a 'personality' if that makes sense. Even though it seemed kind of sad the poem format made it seem friendlier than forbidden love. I hope to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete