Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Famous Last Words - My Final Blog Post

I have really enjoyed this class. I have read stories I've never even heard of, learned about cultures all across time and space. I've improved in my writing, learned humility and when to accept that I've done well. I've read other people's stories and I've learned how to bestow constructive criticism and praise. This class has also taught me how to critically-assess stores, and think about how they represent people and places, and how their lessons can be incorporated into my own life. I've learned things here that have helped me elsewhere, and some of the things that I've learned elsewhere have helped me here. 

Going into this course, I was expecting a traditional online class, where we would read myths and write papers explaining them or get assigned historical research or something--which in some cases would probably provide interesting context. But I got so much more. The creative writing aspect of this class was not one that I anticipated but I was pleasantly surprised. I once described it to my mom as "reading myths then writing fan-fictions of those myths," but that's not really what's going on here. I mean it is, but it kind of isn't. Writing an adaptation of these old, old stories gives me an opportunity to participate in the oldest form of human entertainment--storytelling. I get to be a part of the oldest tradition of humankind--reading someone's version of the world, and retelling it with my experience mixed in, so that stories evolve over time and stay relevant. 

I know that I tend to slip into abstraction and philosophy, but I just want to make one thing very clear: I am very proud to have this experience, this exposure, and this opportunity to appreciate and create my world and the people in it. 
"Me" by Me

No comments:

Post a Comment